Friday, February 5, 2010

11 Weeks Away

The Nashville Country Music Marathon and 1/2 Marathon is 11 weeks away. I have decided to run! I started training already! I made a calendar :) I am putting gold star stickers on the calendar days when I finish a scheduled run. Anything for motivation, right? Speaking of motivation, the blurb under my blog title is my "running mantra". The idea came from an awesome book I am reading, The Non-Runner's Marathon Trainer, by David Whitsett, Forrest Dolgner, and Tanjala Kole. If you are considering distance running of any kind I would highly recommend reading it. The book says "the brain believes what it is told and alters behavior to match so that the system is not in a state of dissonance." It also talks about the importance of keeping a positive attitude . . . so with my new positive attitude, I decided to try lying to myself to see if it would work. It totally does!!!!! To be honest, until recently I could not say that I love the act of running. I do love the feeling of finishing a run, so much so, that I continue to do it. But when I run, now I tell myself that I love to run . . . that I never quit . . . that I never get tired, and now I really do believe it!

Here is my schedule for the week:
Saturday - 3 miles
Sunday - rest
Monday - 3 miles
Tuesday - rest
Wednesday - 5 miles
Thursday - 8 miles
Friday - rest

Saturday and Monday call for 3 miles, but I am going for 5 since I have a 5 mile race coming up on February 20. This will be my first 5 miler. I am really looking forward to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment